Thursday, May 10, 2012

Purpose in life--Religion based?

http://www.ted.com/talks/rick_warren_on_a_life_of_purpose.html


Basically, I came upon this trying to find something I am generally interested in, being religion. As a Christian you could say I am bias toward the fact that I agree with what he is saying about there is a purpose to life. However, I feel he is just using his standing or his position as a famous minister/author to give justification as to why he believes everyone has a purpose in life and what he believes we should do with our "God-given gifts." He is, in my opinion, using his credentials to justify his position, not necessarily persuade you to believe one way or the other. Also, I do feel like he is going about this using a more ethos approach trying to appeal more personable and give a recognition to all people and the many different viewpoints. I know that the religious people can get quite annoying shoving things down your throat but I feel he is taking a gentle more conservative approach, which to me is a lot better. For example, he even says that there are "kooks" in religion and everything else, and also gives the outside view of the Church and things of that sort. He does get into sharing opinions later on throughout the video as well. Nevertheless, obviously, like I said, I am a bit bias being Christian and having faith of my own, however, I still do find it very interesting to debate and get other views about religious things. So, any feedback and viewpoints would be much appreciated. Religion is always a hot-topic it seems like to debate and discuss so I figured this would be timely enough. Thanks, and sorry in advance for the video being a tad long. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment