Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Vet vs Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8-ycSkoYfc&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Dveteran%2Bvs%2Bcop%26oq%3Dveteran%2Bvs%2Bcop%26aq%3Df%26aqi%3D%26aql%3D%26gs_l%3Dyoutube.3...1146.5064.0.5327.4.3.0.0.0.0.1008.1008.7-1.1.0...0.0.AbacZq8OcpI

***Viewer discretion is advised***


My video is about a cop that pulls over a Vietnam veteran and inevitably ends up being killed by the vet. I first saw the video a year ago and it had a lasting impact on my life. I feel the video shows first hand what the effects of war can have on the soldiers. The man kept referencing being a veteran and curses continuously at the cop. He is clearly not in the right state of mind and is under the influence of either a mental condition or maybe just alcohol. Due to the man’s reactions and stability I would lean  more towards the side of mental disorder. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder is what quickly comes to mind. War causes many greater impacts than people realize. This man was not mentally stable and needed medical treatment, he defended our country when we needed him and now suffers because of this. Is it really the man’s fault for his actions? Is he to be held accountable for mental state? Sadly yes. He did commit the crime, so, he must do his time.

2 comments:

  1. I find this article very interesting. I have never heard of this story and it just really hits home when reading this. Having family members who have served in the military, it is a true reality to what can actually happen after ones time in the service is over. I think the fact that this happened cannot be over looked. Initially reading this I felt like the vet did such an awful thing and I couldn't believe he could do that, but after thinking about what he actually went through that pushed him to that point I can see why. Not that his reason for doing it means it is more reasonable but I think that we need to identify these men and women and help them through these types of crisis more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the video a cop pulls over a vietnam veteran and the vetertan (in his state of mind) thinks he is being attacked. The vet eventually retaliates by pulling a gun out of his truck and killing the cop. When I reached ethis point of the video I was ultimately shocked and it kind of downed on me how seriously war can affect someones mind. With this I wonder how other situations can affect a persons mind and cause them to do such an act such as murder in retaliation to what their state of mind is telling them. Could a death in the family cause this? National tragedy? A disagreement with a spouse? Any kind of situation can affect the mind, but my question is: to what extent?

    ReplyDelete